Come experience the beautiful trails around the University of Virginia's Observatory Hill ("O-Hill") by running the first annual OH!lly 5K on Tuesday, June 6th, at 7 pm.
This race is the second race of the 2017 Charlottesville Summer Trail Running Series, a four-race trail series, all with distances in the 5K to 5M range.
The OH!lly 5K takes place completely on single-track trails with challenging and fun ups and downs. The race is open to all interested racers, runners, and walkers. Prizes will be awarded to top finishers and points will be awarded to Series runners, cross-country style, based on their place at the finish.
Start and Finish: On the grassy field behind UVa's Zehmer Hall (104 Midmont Ln, Charlottesville, VA, 22903)
Start time: 7 pm. Registration and check-in opens at 6 pm
Cost: $5 for the OH!lly 5K, $35 if you want to run all three of the remaining races in the Series.
Distance: 3.1 miles
Elevation gain: 684 ft.
What to Expect:
- There is a lot of elevation gain. You will likely be hiking some of the steep uphills and running the flats and downhills. You will be cursing the race director once you reach the "Powerlines".
- The course is technical in the sense that there are a lot of knotty roots, rocks, and leaf cover. Unlike a road run, you will need to watch where your feet are landing.
- It is a trail race, it is ok to walk or power hike!
- Beautiful trails, only single track. No roads.
- Bibs, timing, and a fun, friendly, and festive atmosphere!
- Your GPS will lie to you, as will the maps. The course distance is “pretty close” to 3.1 miles.
- Prizes to top finishers.
If you are already registered for the 2017 Summer Trail Running Series you will not need to register for this race separately